Austin lifts Riverside to 62-53 win over PacificFeb 26, 2010 - 5:47 AM STOCKTON, Calif.(AP) -- Kyle Austin scored 17 of his game-high 23 points in the second half to lead UC Riverside to a 62-53 victory Thursday over Pacific.
Baskets by Austin twice gave Riverside a 10-point advantage in the second half, but Pacific rallied to take a 47-45 lead with 6:40 remaining.
Austin then answered with four free throws and a driving layup, and the Highlanders (12-15, 5-9 Big West) led the rest of the way.
Sam Willard had 15 points and 11 rebounds for Pacific (17-10, 9-4), which shot just 33 percent from the field.
The Tigers got within 51-50 with three minutes to play, but Lateef McMullan then made a 3-pointer and scored all of his eight points as Riverside ended the game with an 11-3 run.
Riverside shot 50 percent from the floor and made 4 of its 6 3-point attempts in the second half to hold off the Tigers, who beat the Highlanders 72-57 in Riverside last month.
- NCAA BB
UC RIVERSIDE 62
PACIFIC 53 FINAL
Feb 26 12:01 AM
- NCAA BB
UC RIVERSIDE 24
PACIFIC 17 HALFTIME
Feb 25 10:44 PM
- Pacific hires Damon Stoudamire as new basketball coach Mar 16
- Suspended Pacific coach Ron Verlin leaves school Mar 3
- Wiltjer's career-high 45 points guides Gonzaga past Pacific Feb 20
- No. 3 Gonzaga sets sights on WCC crown Feb 19
- Gonzaga routs Pacific Jan 24
- Tigers face uphill climb in clash with third-ranked Zags Jan 24
- Highlanders and Aztecs mix it up in non-conference action Dec 22
- No. 25 Utah hammers UC Riverside Nov 21
- Utes seek turnaround against visiting Highlanders Nov 21
- No. 24 Gonzaga handles Pacific Jan 5
- Pacific comes calling on No. 24 Gonzaga Jan 4
- Oregon tops Pacific Nov 29