Foote helps Cornell hold off Princeton 50-47Feb 27, 2010 - 2:54 AM ITHACA, N.Y.(AP) -- Jeff Foote scored 19 points and Cornell held off Princeton 50-47 on Friday night.
Ryan Wittman hit two free throws with 2 seconds left to clinch the win for the Big Red after the Tigers pulled within 48-47 on a Dan Mavraides layup with 4 seconds to go.
Cornell (24-4, 10-1 Ivy League), which had its lowest-scoring output of the season, has the most wins by a team other than Princeton or Penn since the Ivy League formed in 1955-56.
Cornell led 26-24 at halftime and built a 38-30 lead with 10:49 left. Princeton (16-8, 7-3) used a 9-1 run to trail 40-39 with 7:44 to go, but could get no closer as the Big Red made 8 of 9 free throws in the final 5:45.
Foote was 6-for-7 from the field and 7-for-8 from the free throw line while Wittman finished with 12 points.
Mavraides scored 13 points to lead Princeton, which lost two games in a row for the first time since Dec. 3.
- NCAA BB
CORNELL 50 FINAL
Feb 26 9:09 PM
- NCAA BB
CORNELL 26 HALFTIME
Feb 26 7:54 PM
- Brian Earl hired as Cornell men's basketball coach Apr 18
- Stifling D lifts Cornell over Penn State-Harrisburg, 76-47 Nov 23
- Princeton forward Hans Brase to miss basketball season Nov 15
- Louisville wins again, chews up Cornell Nov 16
- No. 3 Louisville sets sights on Cornell Nov 15
- Syracuse starts year off right by rallying past Cornell Nov 8
- Eighth-ranked Orange open with Big Red Nov 8
- Harvard wins Ivy League Mar 9
- Duke uses giant run to pound Cornell Dec 19
- Top-ranked Duke plays host to Cornell Dec 19
- Southerland, Syracuse roll over Princeton Nov 21
- No. 6 Orange set to pounce on Tigers Nov 21