South Carolina State defeats Bethune-Cookman 58-46Feb 27, 2010 - 11:59 PM ORANGEBURG, S.C.(AP) -- Jason Flagler scored 17 points and Brandon Smalls added 14 as South Carolina State defeated Bethune-Cookman 58-46 on Saturday, ending a three-game skid.
The Bulldogs (15-12, 9-6 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) led 23-16 at halftime as the Wildcats (15-14, 7-8) shot only 25 percent (6-for-24) from the field.
Bethune-Cookman improved to 35.7 percent (10-for-28) in the second half, but South Carolina State countered by shooting 52 percent (13-for-25).
The Wildcats got within seven at 32-25 on a Kevin Dukes 3-pointer, then the Bulldogs quickly pushed the lead back into double figures on a Flagler three-point play with 13:11 to go.
Khalif Toombs added six assists for South Carolina State.
Bethune-Cookman had a 33-31 rebounding advantage, but no players scoring in double figures. C.J. Reed paced the Wildcats, who have lost five of their last six, with nine points.
- NCAA BB
BETHUNE COOKMAN 46
S CAROLINA ST 58 FINAL
Feb 27 6:15 PM
- NCAA BB
BETHUNE COOKMAN 16
S CAROLINA ST 23 HALFTIME
Feb 27 5:20 PM
- Bethune-Cookman beats Trinity Baptist 108-54 in opener Nov 13
- No. 9 Virginia cruises past SC State Nov 18
- SC State faces tall task in bout with No. 9 Virginia Nov 18
- Hot shooting leads Michgian past South Carolina State Nov 12
- SC State pays visit to No. 7 Michigan Nov 12
- No. 12 Missouri wallops South Carolina State Dec 18
- South Carolina State comes calling on Missouri Dec 17
- Norfolk State earns 1st NCAA tourney bid by besting Bethune-Cookman Mar 10
- MEAC title up for grabs in Winston-Salem Mar 10
- No. 15 Pittsburgh holds off SC State Dec 17
- SC State comes calling on No. 15 Pittsburgh Dec 17
- No. 6 Baylor stays perfect with win over Bethune-Cookman Dec 15