Jones leads South Florida past Providence 99-93Feb 28, 2010 - 2:28 AM TAMPA, Fla.(AP) -- Dominique Jones scored 26 points, including a three-point play and two technical foul shots with 14.5 seconds left, as South Florida beat Providence 99-93 on Saturday night.
Jones scored on a layup and was fouled by Sharaud Curry, who also picked up the technical. The five points gave South Florida a 97-93 lead. Augustus Gilchrist, who had 21 points, added two late free throws.
South Florida (17-11, 7-9 Big East) had lost four of five after beating then No. 7 Georgetown 72-64 earlier this month. Jones had 46 points in South Florida's 109-105 overtime victory at Providence last month.
Curry and Jamine Peterson both had 26 points for Providence (12-16, 4-12), which has lost eight in a row. The Friars haven't won since beating Connecticut, which was ranked 19th at the time, 81-66 on Jan. 27.
- NCAA BB
SOUTH FLORIDA 99 FINAL
Feb 27 9:03 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTH FLORIDA 46 HALFTIME
Feb 27 7:49 PM
- Cooley hopes to be at Providence 'for life' with extension Mar 30
- Providence's Bentil declares for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 23
- Friars relying on Dunn-Bentil duo vs. top-seeded Tar Heels Mar 18
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Providence adjusting from latest bite from injury bug Feb 4
- Providence's Bentil listed as day-to-day after ankle injury Feb 4
- Calipari, No. 1 Kentucky to meet former assistant Antigua Nov 26
- Providence wins 60-59 after Illinois misses flurry of shots Nov 18
- Dunn staying at Providence Apr 24
- Pierre leads Dayton past Providence Mar 21
- Dayton and Providence meet in second round of NCAA Tourney Mar 20
- Villanova edges Providence to advance to Big East final Mar 14