Central Connecticut State beats St. Francis 68-56Feb 27, 2010 - 8:57 PM NEW BRITAIN, Conn.(AP) -- Shemik Thompson scored 21 points and Central Connecticut defeated St. Francis (N.Y.) 68-56 in the regular season finale for both teams Saturday.
Joseph Efese added 13 points and Joe Seymore 12 for the Blue Devils (12-17, 9-9 Northeast Conference), who won their third straight to clinch a spot in the conference tournament that starts March 3.
Central Connecticut State shot 38.5 percent from the field (20-for-52) and hit 82.8 percent from the free throw line (24-for-29). The Terriers had 17 turnovers.
St. Francis (11-18, 8-10) built its lead to 39-29 early in the second half. The Blue Devils used a 14-3 run to lead 43-42 on Markeys Deans' free throw with 10:21 left.
St. Francis regained its lead at 50-45. But Central Connecticut State answered on a 15-1 run, capped by Thompson's free throws with 47 seconds left.
Stefan Perunicic scored 17 points for the Terriers.
- NCAA BB
ST FRANCIS NY 56
CENTRAL CONN 68 FINAL
Feb 27 2:55 PM
- NCAA BB
ST FRANCIS NY 27
CENTRAL CONN 24 HALFTIME
Feb 27 1:45 PM
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- St. Francis Brooklyn holds off Robert Morris 82-72 Feb 20
- Dickenman retires after 20 years at Central Connecticut Feb 19
- CCSU holds off late charge by Robert Morris to win, 75-70 Feb 4
- Robert Morris uses late first-half run, beats CCSU 59-45 Jan 21
- St. Francis (BKN) holds off Robert Morris 56-49 Jan 9
- Carter, Robinson carry BC past Central Conn. 82-57 Nov 19
- Robert Morris downs St. Francis-NY for NEC crown Mar 10
- Terriers take on Colonials in NEC title tilt Mar 10
- Ross leads No. 5 Buckeyes over CCSU Dec 7
- Blue Devils face tall task in clash with fifth-ranked Buckeyes Dec 7
- No. 9 Syracuse survives scare from St. Francis Nov 18