Western Kentucky beats FIU 88-61Feb 28, 2010 - 3:27 AM MIAMI(AP) -- Sergio Kerusch scored a career-high 32 points, and Western Kentucky defeated Florida International 88-61 on Saturday night.
Kerusch shot 13-for-17 from the field and grabbed nine rebounds for the Hilltoppers (19-12, 12-6 Sun Belt Conference), who won their sixth in a row. Kerusch's previous career high - 26 points - was scored against FIU on Feb. 21, 2009.
Western Kentucky jumped out to a 25-5 lead after a layup from Kerusch with 11:20 remaining in the first half. The Hilltoppers would lead by as many as 28 points before halftime, as a 3-pointer from Kerusch ballooned the lead to 46-18. Western Kentucky led 50-23 at halftime, and FIU never recovered.
Marlon Bright and Tremayne Russell scored 11 points each to lead FIU (7-24, 4-14), who closed its regular season with eight losses in a row.
- NCAA BB
FIU 61 FINAL
Feb 27 10:06 PM
- NCAA BB
FIU 23 HALFTIME
Feb 27 8:59 PM
- No. 5 Louisville powers past FIU Dec 5
- Panthers seek upset of fifth-ranked Cardinals Dec 5
- Smith powers Louisville to blowout of FIU Dec 22
- Cardinals fly south to take on Panthers Dec 21
- FIU tabs Evans as head coach Apr 16
- Western Kentucky wins back-to-back Sun Belt titles Mar 12
- Hilltoppers and Panthers duke it out for Sun Belt crown Mar 11
- Louisville blows past FIU Dec 20
- Panthers hope to claw their way past fifth-ranked Cardinals Dec 19
- FIU tabs Richard Pitino as head coach Apr 16
- Isiah Thomas out as FIU hoops coach Apr 6
- Troy recovers to defeat Western Kentucky 54-48 Mar 8