Higgins leads Colorado past Iowa State, 75-72Feb 27, 2010 - 8:50 PM BOULDER, Colo.(AP) -- Cory Higgins scored a season-high 33 points to lead Colorado over Iowa State 75-72 in a battle between Big 12 also-rans on Saturday.
With Colorado (13-15, 4-10) trailing 46-40 with 16 minutes left, Higgins scored 15 of the Buffaloes' next 17 points to give them a 57-55 lead with 7:20 left. He hit two 3-pointers in the stretch, and he finished it with a baseline drive past 6-foot-9 LaRon Dendy.
Casey Crawford hit two 3-pointers to extend Colorado's lead to four, and the Buffaloes hit eight free throws in the final 1:16 to seal the win.
Marquis Gilstrap scored 26 points for the Cyclones (14-15, 3-11), who have lost 10 of their last 12 games.
The Cyclones rallied from an early deficit to take a 38-36 lead at halftime. Gilstrap led Iowa State with 12 first-half points, and Higgins and Marcus Relphorde had 12 each for Colorado.
- NCAA BB
IOWA ST 72
COLORADO 75 FINAL
Feb 27 3:42 PM
- NCAA BB
IOWA ST 38
COLORADO 36 HALFTIME
Feb 27 2:31 PM
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Iowa State coach Prohm helps Cyclones reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Iowa State's Niang honed his craft guarding Nerlens Noel Mar 18