George Washington knocks off Charlotte 75-70Feb 28, 2010 - 2:40 AM WASHINGTON(AP) -- Tony Taylor scored 16 points and was perfect on three 3-pointers as George Washington pulled away during an 18-4 run that bridged halftime for a 75-70 win over Charlotte on Saturday night.
With the win, the Colonials clinched a spot in the Altantic 10 Conference tournament for the first time since the 2007 season. Taylor scored five points and Aaron Ware scored nine of his 13 points during the decisive run as George Washington (16-11, 6-8) went from up one with 2:58 left in the first half to a 47-32 lead with 16:29 remaining.
Bryan Bynes scored all of his 10 points in the second half, including a stretch of eight straight followed by a pair of Taylor free throws that gave the Colonials their largest lead at 62-44.
The 49ers (19-9, 9-5), led by Shamari Spears and Javarris Barnett with 12 points each, lost for the fourth time in five games and split the season series.
- NCAA BB
GEO WASHINGTON 75 FINAL
Feb 27 8:20 PM
- NCAA BB
GEO WASHINGTON 39 HALFTIME
Feb 27 7:09 PM
- CIAA will stay in North Carolina despite state's LGBT law Apr 29
- Price experiencing growing pains in 1st year with Charlotte Dec 24
- Cavanaugh scores 18; No. 21 GW beats St Peter's 87 Dec 19
- Mark Price named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 26
- Reports: Price to be named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 25
- Major won't return as Charlotte coach Mar 15
- VCU gets back on track at George Washington Feb 15
- Colonials tangle with 20th-ranked Rams Feb 14
- VCU keeps rolling with rout of George Washington Jan 27
- Colonials come calling on 14th-ranked Rams Jan 27
- GW upends No. 11 Wichita State Dec 25
- Shockers clash with Colonials for Diamond Head Classic crown Dec 25