Smith, Gonzalez lead N.C. State past Miami 71-66Feb 27, 2010 - 11:21 PM CORAL GABLES, Fla.(AP) -- Tracy Smith and Javier Gonzalez scored 19 points to lead North Carolina State to a 71-66 victory over Miami on Saturday.
The Wolfpack (16-13, 4-10 Atlantic Coast Conference) took the lead for good on Dennis Horner's two free throws with 1:10 left for a 64-63 lead. Gonzalez converted six free throws in the next 35 seconds to secure the North Carolina State victory.
Down by nine early in the second half, North Carolina State took a 57-54 lead on Gonzalez's 3-pointer with 5:06 remaining but James Dews' 3-pointer with 3:32 left tied it 59-59.
The Wolfpack suffered a scare when Smith favored his right knee after colliding with Miami's Durand Scott with 5:45 left in the second half. Smith was escorted to the bench but returned on the next dead ball.
Dwayne Collins led Miami (18-10, 4-10) with 15 points.
- NCAA BB
NC STATE 71
MIAMI FL 66 FINAL
Feb 27 6:07 PM
- NCAA BB
NC STATE 30
MIAMI FL 30 HALFTIME
Feb 27 4:48 PM
- NC State's Anya opts out of draft, returns for senior season May 20
- NC State forward Abdul-Malik Abu pulls out of NBA Draft May 19
- NC State adds 7-foot Turkish center Omer Yurtseven May 16
- NC State's 1983 NCAA championship team to visit White House Apr 28
- Australian Vasiljevic signs to play basketball for Miami Apr 13
- Miami Hurricanes sophomore James Palmer decides to transfer Mar 28
- Miami falls to 0-3 in Sweet 16, routed 92-69 by Villanova Mar 25
- Twins Caleb and Cody Martin transferring from NC State Mar 24
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- NC State junior Anthony 'Cat' Barber to remain in NBA draft Mar 22
- Miami plays Villanova with chance at 1st Elite 8 berth Mar 21
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18