Vasquez lifts Terps past Hokies 104-100 in 2OTFeb 28, 2010 - 3:14 AM By HANK KURZ Jr. AP Sports Writer
BLACKSBURG, Va.(AP) -- Greivis Vasquez scored a career-high 41 points and Eric Hayes hit five critical free throws in two overtimes Saturday night to lead Maryland to a 104-100 victory over Virginia Tech.
Maryland (21-7, 11-3 Atlantic Coast Conference) scored the first four points of the second overtime and never trailed again in solidifying its hold on second place in the league with two games to play.
Virginia Tech (21-7, 8-6) lost for the first time at home in 15 games this season, and for the third time in a row overall, damaging its NCAA tournament credentials. The Hokies lost despite 27 points from Malcolm Delaney and Jeff Allen's 25 points and 15 rebounds.
Hayes, whose two free throws with 41 seconds left in the first OT forced the second, hit a pair with 21.3 seconds left and another with 15.2 seconds left.
Vasquez scored 33 of his points after halftime. Sean Mosley added 17 points.
- NCAA BB
VIRGINIA TECH 100 FINAL IN 2ND OT
Feb 27 9:50 PM
- NCAA BB
VIRGINIA TECH 89 END OF 1ST OT, GOING INTO 2ND OT
Feb 27 9:23 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MARYLAND 31 31
VIRGINIA TECH 37 37 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
MARYLAND - GREIVIS VASQUEZ 8, SEAN MOSLEY 7, JORDAN
VIRGINIA TECH - DORENZO HUDSON 12, JEFF ALLEN 10,
MALCOLM DELANEY 7
Feb 27 7:57 PM
- Maryland's Stone to sign agent, Trimble declares for draft Apr 11
- Maryland junior Robert Carter enters name in NBA draft Apr 7
- Virginia Tech grants sophomore guard Jalen Hudson release Apr 6
- Maryland's late-season fade leads into offseason of change Mar 25
- No. 5 Maryland outworked by top-seeded Kansas in Sweet 16 Mar 25
- Top-seeded Kansas expects battle from No. 5 Maryland Mar 24
- Maryland assumes underdog role against top-seeded Kansas Mar 22
- No. 13 seed Hawaii to play 4th-seeded Maryland Mar 19
- Jackrabbits seek 1st NCAA Tournament win Mar 17
- Fifth-seed Maryland enters NCAA Tournament lacking momentum Mar 15
- No. 14 Maryland stumbling toward the finish in Big Ten Mar 2
- Trimble and No. 10 Maryland hope 6-day break is beneficial Feb 26