Hallam scores 20 as Denver prevails 63-47Feb 28, 2010 - 2:55 AM DENVER(AP) -- Chase Hallam scored a career-high 20 points Saturday night as Denver defeated Louisiana-Lafayette 63-47 and wrapped up the No. 6 seed in the Sun Belt Conference tournament.
Denver, Lafayette and Florida Atlantic all finished with 10-8 conference records, but Denver won the tiebreaker by virtue of its head-to-head record vs. those schools (1-0 vs. Florida Atlantic and 1-1 vs. Lafayette).
Brian Stafford added 14 points for the Pioneers (17-12, 10-8 Sun Belt) and Nate Rohnert had 11 points and 10 rebounds.
Denver held the Ragin' Cajuns to a season-low 47 points and their leading scorer, Tyren Johnson, at bay most of the game. Johnson led Louisiana-Lafayette (13-16, 10-8) with 14 points on 5-of-14 shooting.
Denver will face the Sun Belt's No. 11 seed (either FIU or New Orleans) in the first round of the conference tournament March 6. Lafayette gets the No. 7 or 8 seed, depending on the outcomes of other games Saturday night.
- NCAA BB
UL LAFAYETTE 47
DENVER 63 FINAL
Feb 27 8:47 PM
- NCAA BB
UL LAFAYETTE 21
DENVER 27 HALFTIME
Feb 27 7:49 PM
- University of Denver hires Rodney Billups as coach Mar 14
- Denver fires coach Joe Scott after 9 seasons Mar 11
- South Dakota State edges Denver in Summit tourney 54-53 Mar 8
- Rosga, Denver beat Omaha, advance to Summit League semis Mar 7
- Northern Iowa tops Denver on 30 shots Dec 10
- Panthers hit road to take on Pioneers Dec 10
- McDermott scores 30 to power Creighton past Louisiana Mar 21
- Cajuns and Bluejays duke it out in West Region action Mar 21
- Louisiana wins Sun Belt title over Georgia State Mar 16
- Georgia State and Louisiana meet for Sun Belt title Mar 16
- Louisville's offense erupts in rout of Louisiana Dec 7
- Seventh-ranked Cardinals continue run with Cajuns Dec 7