Varnado leads Mississippi State to 76-63 winFeb 28, 2010 - 1:00 AM By PETE IACOBELLI AP Sports Writer
COLUMBIA, S.C.(AP) -- Jarvis Varnado had 19 points to lead five Mississippi State players in double figures and the Bulldogs won their fourth straight over South Carolina, 76-63, on Saturday.
Varnado, who set the NCAA career blocks mark his last game, followed that with his highest scoring total against an Southeastern Conference opponent this season.
Barry Stewart scored 18, Ravern Johnson 15, Kodi Augustus 13 and Dee Bost 11 for the Bulldogs (21-8, 9-5 SEC), who used a 21-7 run in the second half to break things open.
Devan Downey, the SEC's leading scorer, was held to 12 points, his lowest output in a league game this season. The Gamecocks (14-14, 5-9) have lost five straight.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MISSISSIPPI STATE 35 41 76
SOUTH CAROLINA 28 35 63 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: MISSISSIPPI STATE - JARVIS VARNADO 19, BARRY STEWART 18,
RAVERN JOHNSON 15
SOUTH CAROLINA - SAM MULDROW 15, RAMON GALLOWAY 14, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 12
Feb 27 7:49 PM
- NCAA BB
MISSISSIPPI ST 35
SOUTH CAROLINA 28 HALFTIME
Feb 27 6:42 PM
- South Carolina forward Raymond Doby leaving the program May 18
- South Carolina dismisses suspended players Gregory, Cobb Apr 4
- Gamecocks give men's coach Frank Martin 4-year extension Apr 1
- South Carolina got told it was in - except, it wasn't Mar 31
- Offseason questions loom for Frank Martin, South Carolina Mar 23
- Mississippi St G Newman opts for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 22
- 2 South Carolina players arrested over BB gun shooting Mar 17
- 5 South Carolina players suspended before NIT game Mar 15
- South Carolina moving on from NCAA snub Mar 14
- South Carolina looking to take next step at SEC Tournament Mar 8
- Weatherspoon leading Mississippi State's resurgence Feb 23
- Big Week: South Carolina could move to top of SEC standings Feb 9