Quinnipiac holds off Fairleigh Dickinson 74-65Feb 28, 2010 - 4:07 AM HACKENSACK, N.J.(AP) -- Jeremy Baker scored 20 points and Justin Rutty had his 14th double-double of the season as Quinnipiac held off Fairleigh Dickinson 74-65 Saturday night to clinch a share of its first Northeast Conference regular-season championship.
The Bobcats (21-8, 15-3) tied Robert Morris for the crown, but earned the No. 1 seed and home-court advantage as they open play March 4 against Monmouth. Quinnipiac also earned an automatic bid into the National Invitation Tournament (NIT), should it lose in the NEC.
Quinnipiac used a 10-1 run to lead by 14 in the first half and 39-27 at the break.
The Bobcats led 53-36 in the second half, but the Knights (11-20, 10-8) closed to 65-62 with 3:26 left. Quinnipiac made 9 of 10 free throws down the stretch.
Rutty had 14 points and 13 rebounds.
John Galvin scored 15 points and Alvin Mofunanya had 10 points and 15 boards for the Knights.
- Fla. Gulf Coast, Fairleigh Dickinson face off in First Four Mar 15
- Coach Herenda has Fairleigh Dickinson back in NCAA Tourney Mar 12
- Pryor leads Robert Morris over Fairleigh Dickinson 72-70 Feb 13
- Harrison, St. John's pull away from FDU Dec 11
- Red Storm set sights on Knights Dec 10
- Iona-Quinnipiac hoops game postponed Jan 2
- Iowa routs FDU Dec 9
- Hawkeyes hope to avoid upset in clash with visiting Knights Dec 9
- Wildcats put up 100 points in Miller's 100th win Nov 19
- Miller seeks milestone win as Wildcats host Knights Nov 18
- FDU names Herenda men's hoops coach Apr 26
- Napier, UConn down Quinnipiac in 2-OT Nov 19