Smith's 19 leads Stetson past SC-Upstate 65-60Feb 28, 2010 - 3:20 AM DELAND, Fla.(AP) -- A.J. Smith scored 19 points and dished out five assists to lead Stetson to a 65-60 win over South Carolina-Upstate on Saturday night in both teams' regular-season finale.
Brandon Williams finished with 14 points and Mark Lohuis added 10 for the Hatters (7-22, 5-15 Atlantic Sun Conference), who failed to qualify for the conference tournament. Joel Naburgs had 12 points for Stetson.
The Spartans (6-23, 6-14) will also miss the tournament - which starts March 4 - because of NCAA reclassifying rules.
Stetson opened with a 10-1 run and led 37-30 at halftime. USC-Upstate tied the game at 49 with 8:43 to play before the Hatters regained command with a 10-0 run.
Ryan LeGates had 18 points and Nick Schneiders had 14 points for USC-Upstate.
Stetson knocked down 12 3-pointers compared to the Spartans, who finished with eight.
- Stetson makes intriguing run to A-Sun final against FGCU Mar 5
- Stetson routs Albany State (Ga) 95-69 Dec 16
- Ospreys and Spartans collide in A-Sun title bout Mar 8
- Strong second half lifts Maryland over USC Upstate Dec 13
- 19th-ranked Terps tangle with Spartans Dec 13
- Irish beat up Stetson Nov 10
- No. 21 Notre Dame plays host to Stetson Nov 10
- Alexander leaves Stetson to take Lipscomb job May 18
- USC Upstate gives Payne extension Oct 26
- Buckeyes handle Spartans, Sullinger solid in return Dec 15
- Buckeyes and Spartans square off in Columbus Dec 14
- Donovan gets 400th career win as Florida routs Stetson Nov 28