Portland pulls away from Santa Clara for 68-55 winFeb 28, 2010 - 6:44 AM PORTLAND, Ore.(AP) -- T.J. Campbell scored 20 points as Portland overcame a slow start to register a 68-55 victory over Santa Clara on Saturday night in the final West Coast Conference game of the season.
Robin Smeulders added 17 points for the Pilots (19-9, 10-4), who are the No. 3 seed for next week's conference tournament.
Marc Trasolini and Michael Santos scored 14 points each to lead the Broncos (11-20, 3-11), who lost for the fourth time in five games.
Santa Clara, which is seeded seventh for the conference tournament, led for most of the first half before going into intermission tied at 30.
The Broncos committed 18 turnovers while hitting just 4-of-16 3-pointers.
Portland had 16 miscues of its own but hit 7-of-15 3s.
- Terry Porter introduced as new Portland Pilots coach Apr 5
- Portland Pilots hire Terry Porter as basketball coach Apr 2
- Santa Clara hopes Sendek can lift team to WCC elite Mar 30
- Santa Clara hires Herb Sendek as new head coach Mar 29
- Santa Clara fires basketball coach Kerry Keating Mar 7
- Wintering sparks Portland past Abilene Christian, 87-57 Nov 23
- Gonzaga pulls away in second half, tops Santa Clara Feb 6
- Broncos face tall task in clash with second-ranked Bulldogs Feb 5
- No. 3 Gonzaga routs Portland Jan 30
- Pilots hope to fly past third-ranked Bulldogs Jan 29
- Gonzaga rolls over Santa Clara Jan 11
- Broncos battle Bulldogs in WCC fracas Jan 10