Iona 49, St. Peter's 48Feb 28, 2010 - 9:54 PM JERSEY CITY, N.J. (AP) -- Scott Machado scored 10 points, including two free throws with 6 seconds left, to lead Iona to a 49-48 victory over Saint Peter's on Sunday.
Iona (21-9, 12-6 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference), which has won three of four, wrapped up the No. 3 seed for the conference tournament. Saint Peter's (16-13, 11-7) will be the fourth seed.
Saint Peter's led 48-44 on Ryan Bacon's layup with 2:14 left, but Iona's Kyle Smith hit a 3-pointer with 1:18 remaining. Machado, who also had six assists, was fouled by Steven Samuels with 6 seconds left and hit the game-winning free throws.
Neither team led by more than six as they split the season series.
Jermel Jenkins led Iona with 13 points and Alejo Rodriguez had 13 rebounds.
Wesley Jenkins and Bacon scored 12 points each for Saint Peter's, which shot 26.9 percent from the field (7 of 26) in the second half.
- NCAA BB
ST PETERS 48 FINAL
Feb 28 3:56 PM
- Morris and Iowa State race past Iona 94-81 Mar 17
- Iona spoiled Monmouth bench mob party Mar 16
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- Sophomore Much receives NCAA waiver, can play right away Nov 15
- Iona gives hoops coach Cluess extension Mar 26
- Manhattan pulls away late, bests Iona for MAAC title Mar 9
- Manhattan takes on Iona in MAAC title tilt Mar 9
- Arkansas 6-0 after win over Iona Nov 30
- Gaels and Hogs mix it up to close holiday weekend Nov 30
- Manhattan edges Iona for MAAC title Mar 10
- MAAC title on line in clash between Jaspers and Gaels Mar 10
- Cluess given extension at Iona Mar 6