Simpson scores 22 as Hampton beats Longwood 95-81Mar 2, 2010 - 3:29 AM HAMPTON, Va.(AP) -- Vincent Simpson scored 22 points to lead four Hampton players in double figures as the Pirates defeated Longwood 95-81 Saturday night to win their fourth straight game.
Darrion Pellum, Charles Funches and Kwame Morgan II added 16 points apiece for Hampton (12-17), which set a season-high for points scored.
The Lancers (12-19) closed within 48-42 with 17:46 left, but the Pirates pulled away with a 12-2 run.
Hampton scored 33 points off 22 Longwood turnovers. Three technicals were called in the final 1:25 and the Pirates hit 6 of 8 free throws in the final minute.
Hampton outshot the Lancers from the field, 54.9 percent (28-for-51) to 50.8 percent (30-for-59). The Pirates were 31-for-50 from the line to Longwood's 13-for-22.
Dana Smith scored 20 points and Martiz Washington added 14 points and 10 boards for the Lancers, who had a 35-31 rebounding edge over Hampton.
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- No. 23 Syracuse takes down Hampton Nov 16
- Pirates come calling on 23rd-ranked Orange Nov 16
- Gillian resigns as Longwood men's hoops coach Mar 14
- Porter, Georgetown rout Longwood Dec 10