Saint Joseph's 80, George Washington 71Mar 4, 2010 - 4:44 AM WASHINGTON (AP) -- Darrin Groves scored 16 of his game-high 19 points in the second half and Saint Joseph's took advantage of its best shooting game of the season to win its first conference road game with an 80-71 victory over George Washington on Wednesday night.
The Hawks (10-19, 4-11 Atlantic 10 Conference) shot 60 percent from 3-point range (9-for-15) and 58.8 percent overall (30-for-51), both season highs. They took the lead for good by scoring 11 straight points early in the second half and Groves hit consecutive 3s during a 15-6 run that gave the Hawks their largest lead at 67-57 with 7:11 remaining.
Tony Taylor's layup with 1:28 left cut the lead to 74-70, but the Hawks made six straight free throws in the final 54 seconds to secure the win.
Joseph Katuka led George Washington (16-12, 6-9) with a career-high 15 points. Taylor scored 11 points and Damian Hollis finished with 10 points.
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- Saint Joseph's flying high as Atlantic 10 contenders Feb 19
- Saint Joseph's rolls to 75-60 win over Penn Jan 20
- Cavanaugh scores 18; No. 21 GW beats St Peter's 87 Dec 19
- VCU gets back on track at George Washington Feb 15
- Colonials tangle with 20th-ranked Rams Feb 14
- VCU keeps rolling with rout of George Washington Jan 27
- Colonials come calling on 14th-ranked Rams Jan 27
- Sharp shooting leads VCU past Saint Joseph's Jan 11
- Hawks seek upset of 20th-ranked Rams Jan 10
- GW upends No. 11 Wichita State Dec 25