Moore, Kramer lead No. 7 Purdue past Indiana 74-55Mar 4, 2010 - 7:54 PM By CLIFF BRUNT AP Sports Writer
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind.(AP) -- E'Twaun Moore scored 21 points and Chris Kramer added a season-high 18 in his final home game to help No. 7 Purdue beat Indiana 74-55 on Wednesday night.
JaJuan Johnson added 14 points, seven rebounds and four blocks for the Boilermakers (25-4, 13-4 Big Ten), who rebounded from a loss to Michigan State that came in their first game without injured Robbie Hummel.
If Purdue wins at Penn State on Saturday, the Boilermakers will earn a share of the Big Ten championship. It would be Purdue's first conference title since 1996.
Purdue scored just 44 points Sunday without Hummel, the do-it-all forward who is out for the season with a torn ACL in his right knee. The Boilermakers bounced back and shot 49 percent against the Hoosiers on Senior Night.
Verdell Jones III scored 15 points and Derek Elston added 13 points and seven rebounds for Indiana (9-20, 3-14), which lost its 11th straight game.
Purdue got off to a much better start against Indiana than against Michigan State. The Boilermakers made six of their first eight shots to take a 13-5 lead.
Moore scored nine points in the first 6 1/2 minutes to put the Boilermakers up 18-8. They shot 56 percent to lead 38-25 at the break.
Purdue continued to roll early in the second half. A 3-pointer by Kramer put the Boilermakers up 48-31.
Indiana's Jordan Hulls made a 3 in transition to trim Purdue's lead to 12 and force the Boilermakers to call a timeout.
Moore scored six points during a 10-3 run that gave the Boilermakers a 59-39 lead midway through the second half, and the crowd showed its appreciation with a standing ovation.
Kramer made his first six shots, but his perfect shooting night ended when his seventh attempt rolled in and out with 12:20 remaining. It was his only miss.
Purdue senior Keaton Grant was replaced with 1:41 to play, and Kramer was replaced with 1:26 remaining.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
INDIANA 25 30 55
PURDUE (7) 38 36 74 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: INDIANA - VERDELL JONES III 15, DEREK ELSTON 13,
JORDAN HULLS 8
PURDUE - E'TWAUN MOORE 21, CHRIS KRAMER 18,
JAJUAN JOHNSON 14
Mar 3 8:32 PM
- NCAA BB
PURDUE (7) 38 HALFTIME
Mar 3 7:23 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22