Auburn defeats Mississippi State 89-80Mar 4, 2010 - 3:31 AM By JOHN ZENOR AP Sports Writer
AUBURN, Ala.(AP) -- Tay Waller scored 22 points and Brendon Knox had 21 to lead Auburn to an 89-80 win over Mississippi State on Wednesday night.
The Tigers (15-15, 6-9 Southeastern Conference) had a triumphant farewell in the final game at 42-year-old Beard-Eaves-Memorial Coliseum before moving across the street to Auburn Arena.
Waller stayed hot, making 6 of 11 3-pointers and collecting seven rebounds. He has averaged 26 points and made 27 3s over the past four games and Auburn has won three of them.
The Bulldogs (21-9, 9-6), who have already clinched a share of the SEC West title, cut a 10-point deficit in half over the final 3 minutes. But the 3s finally stopped falling after Dee Bost scored all 25 of his points in the second half.
Bost also had eight assists and went 5-of-9 from beyond the arc.
- NCAA BB
MISSISSIPPI ST 80
AUBURN 89 FINAL
Mar 3 10:03 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MISSISSIPPI STATE 37 37
AUBURN 46 46 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
MISSISSIPPI STATE - BARRY STEWART 13, JARVIS VARNADO 12,
RAVERN JOHNSON 10
AUBURN - TAY WALLER 13, DEWAYNE REED 11,
BRENDON KNOX 8
Mar 3 8:48 PM
- Auburn players Shamsid-Deen, Reed won't return next season May 6
- Mississippi St G Newman opts for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 22
- Weatherspoon leading Mississippi State's resurgence Feb 23
- Pearl: Auburn's Kareem Canty leaves team, school to turn pro Feb 12
- Auburn will be without leading scorer against Tennessee Feb 8
- Auburn top scorer Kareem Canty suspended indefinitely Feb 6
- Pearl: Auburn's Cinmeon Bowers to return against LSU Feb 1
- Auburn's Bowers brings energy, rebounds back to lineup Jan 21
- Pearl: Auburn guard Shamsid-Deen out for season Jan 15
- Mississippi State still trying to turn corner under Howland Jan 15
- Mississippi State suspends F Demetrius Houston indefinitely Nov 17
- Auburn freshman guard Bryce Brown suspended for opener Nov 12