Cunningham, Oregon State hold off WSU 59-55Mar 5, 2010 - 5:31 AM CORVALLIS, Ore.(AP) -- Jared Cunningham had 20 points, eight steals and the game-clinching free throws as Oregon State turned back a second-half challenge and beat Washington State 59-55 Thursday.
Roeland Schaftenaar had 10 points for the Beavers (14-15, 8-9 Pac-10), who had 14 steals and shot 52.2 percent from the field.
Klay Thompson had 16 of his 18 points in the second half as WSU (16-13, 6-10) rallied from an 18-point halftime deficit. Nikola Koprikova had 12 points and Reggie Moore had 10 points on 10-of-11 free-throw shooting.
Thompson hit a floater with 59 seconds left to get the Cougars within 53-52, but Schaftenaar answered with a turnaround bank shot, and Josh Tarver and Cunningham each made two free throws to keep the game out of reach.
In the first half, Washington State was just 4 of 16 from the field and committed 15 turnovers as Oregon State led 33-15 at the break.
- NCAA BB
WASHINGTON ST 55
OREGON ST 59 FINAL
Mar 4 11:58 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
WASHINGTON STATE 15 15
OREGON STATE 33 33 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
WASHINGTON STATE - NIKOLA KOPRIVICA 7, DEANGELO CASTO 5,
KLAY THOMPSON 2
OREGON STATE - JARED CUNNINGHAM 15, OMARI JOHNSON 5,
ROELAND SCHAFTENAAR 5
Mar 4 10:51 PM
- 3 Washington State players declare for NBA draft Apr 15
- Que Johnson decides to leave Washington St basketball team Apr 12
- Beavers bummed about early exit, but excited for the future Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- Pac-12 says end of Washington-Oregon State handled properly Feb 25
- No. 11 Oregon State women grind out 61-47 win over Colorado Jan 24
- Washington cruises past Division II Golden Eagles 74-57 Nov 25
- Oregon State Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Washington State Cougars reject last place prediction Oct 28
- Washington St Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Oregon State Beavers no longer the Pac-12 surprise Oct 28
- Utah battles past Washington State Mar 6