Delaware State beats Maryland-Eastern Shore 57-37Mar 5, 2010 - 3:43 AM DOVER, Del.(AP) -- Marcus Neal scored 18 points and Delaware State defeated turnover-prone Maryland-Eastern Shore 57-37 on Thursday night.
The Hornets (16-11, 11-5 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) forced 24 turnovers by the Hawks, who had just three assists.
Maryland-Eastern Shore (10-20, 8-8) led 12-10 with 12:49 in the first half, but turned it over eight times before halftime. Delaware State outscored the Hawks 18-5 from that point, and Neal's 3-pointer gave the Hornets a 28-17 lead with 5 seconds to go until halftime.
Kevin White's layup pulled Maryland-Eastern Shore within 42-36 with 3:47 to play. But Delaware State went on an 18-5 run the rest of the way. Neal's dunk capped the spurt for the final margin with 19 seconds remaining.
Frisco Sandidge added 11 points for the Hornets, who shot 44.9 percent from the field (22 of 49).
Hillary Haley led the Hawks with 11 points.
- NCAA BB
MD EASTRN SHORE 37
DELAWARE ST 57 FINAL
Mar 4 9:50 PM
- NCAA BB
MD EASTRN SHORE 17
DELAWARE ST 28 HALFTIME
Mar 4 8:46 PM
- Delaware State beats D-III Summit U 93-44 for 1st win Jan 4
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- No. 15 VCU beats UMES 106-66 Nov 20
- Rams butt heads with Hawks in Legends Classic Nov 20
- No. 12 Villanova eases past Maryland-Eastern Shore Nov 18
- Hawks hope to soar past Wildcats Nov 17
- UMES hires Collins to replace Allen Apr 8
- UMES, Allen part ways after six seasons Mar 12
- Delaware State fires Greg Jackson Jan 31
- No. 7 Oklahoma State demolishes Delaware State Dec 17
- Hornets hit road hoping to sting seventh-ranked Cowboys Dec 17