Western Michigan surges past Ball State 67-52Mar 5, 2010 - 3:37 AM KALAMAZOO, Mich.(AP) -- David Kool scored 16 points and Martelle McLemore scored 14 to lead Western Michigan past Ball State 67-52 in the final game of the season for both teams on Thursday night.
The two traded the lead four times in the first half, but the Broncos (16-14, 8-8 MAC) went into the break up 29-27 and then surged ahead in the second half, rarely leading by fewer than eight points.
Flenard Whitfield added 12 points for the Broncos and Alex Wolf finished with 10.
Randy Davis led the game in scoring with 23 points for the Cardinals (15-14, 8-8).
With the win, Western Michigan earned the No. 7 seed in the upcoming Mid-American Conference tournament and will play Bowling Green on Sunday. Ball State will enter the tournament at No. 8 and are scheduled to host Ohio Sunday.
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28
- Western Michigan defeats Rochester (Mich) 85-73 Nov 23
- No. 19 San Diego State cruises past Ball State Dec 21
- Cardinals pay visit to 19th-ranked Aztecs Dec 20
- No. 25 Utah takes care of Ball State Nov 15
- No. 25 Utah opens season against Ball State Nov 14
- Syracuse dominates Western Michigan in NCAA opener Mar 20
- Broncos and Orange clash in South Region's second round Mar 20
- Western Michigan takes down Toledo to win MAC title Mar 16
- MAC crown to be decided, as Rockets challenge Broncos Mar 15
- Missouri tops Western Michigan, extends home streak Dec 15
- Tigers hope to continue perfect run against visiting Broncos Dec 15