Yale knocks off Columbia 65-48Mar 6, 2010 - 2:26 AM NEW HAVEN, Conn.(AP) -- Alex Zampier scored 15 points to lead Yale to a 65-48 victory over Columbia on Friday night.
Michael Sands added 14 points and nine rebounds and the Bulldogs (12-18, 6-7 Ivy League) shot 50 percent from the field (8 of 16) in the second half to pull away from Columbia (10-17, 4-9).
Yale used a 14-0 run to turn a three-point deficit into a 47-36 lead with 9:34 remaining. Michael Sands scored six points and Zampier and Austin Morgan each hit 3-pointers to spark the run.
Zampier's free throw gave Yale a 54-42 lead with 4:43 left.
Paul Nelson and Porter Braswell scored 10 points each for Yale, which shot 74.3 percent from the free throw line (26 of 35).
Columbia outrebounded the Bulldogs 42-34, but shot 31.1 percent from the field (19 of 61) and committed 15 turnovers.
Noruwa Agho scored 14 points and Mark Cisco had 10 points and eight rebounds for Columbia.
- Columbia hires Jim Engles as new basketball coach Apr 5
- Defending champ Duke, upstart Yale ready for 2nd round clash Mar 18
- From controversy to NCAA upset artist, Yale eyeing more Mar 18
- Yale blocks out captain's dismissal heading to NCAA tourney Mar 16
- Former Yale captain says he'll sue school over expulsion Mar 14
- Yale, without captain, celebrates first bid in 54 years Mar 13
- Yale team navigates campus anger amid NCAA Tournament bid Mar 10
- Yale captain Montague won't return to Ivy league leaders Feb 24
- Lo's 8 3s lead Columbia to 78-71 win over Robert Morris Dec 14
- Harvard edges Yale in thriller for Ivy League title Mar 15
- No. 1 Kentucky rallies to beat Columbia Dec 10
- No. 1 Kentucky plays host to Columbia Dec 10