Kent State tops Akron 74-61Mar 6, 2010 - 3:39 AM AKRON, Ohio(AP) -- Anthony Simpson scored 23 points and grabbed nine rebounds to pace Kent State to a 74-61 win over Akron on Friday night.
Rodriquez Sherman added 15 points and five assists for the Golden Flashes (23-8, 13-3 Mid-American Conference), who have won five games in a row. The win earned Kent State the 2010 Mid-American Conference title and an automatic bid to the post season.
After leading 31-23 at halftime, the Golden Flashes used a 12-2 run in the second half to take a 50-31 lead with 13:46 remaining. The Zips never recovered, as they failed to get any closer than within 12 points.
Jimmy Conyers finished with 18 points and seven rebounds to lead the Zips (22-9, 12-4).
Kent State shot 51.7 percent from the field (30-for-58), while Akron shot only 38.5 percent (20-for-52). The Golden Flashes scored 25 points off of Akron's 17 turnovers.
- Oubre shines as Kansas tops Kent St. Dec 30
- Kent State tangles with No. 13 Kansas Dec 30
- Niang paces Cyclones over Zips Dec 23
- Iowa State and Akron meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- Daniels, Reddic lead Rams in rout of Zips Mar 22
- Akron takes on VCU in second round of NCAA Tournament Mar 20
- Akron routs Ohio for MAC title Mar 17
- Ohio battles Akron for MAC Tournament title Mar 16
- McDermott powers No. 16 Creighton past Akron Dec 9
- No. 16 Bluejays play host to Zips Dec 9
- Ohio edges Akron to take MAC title Mar 11
- MAC title on the line as Bobcats battle Zips Mar 10