Indiana holds off Northwestern 88-80 in overtimeMar 6, 2010 - 7:36 PM By MICHAEL MAROT AP Sports Writer
BLOOMINGTON, Ind.(AP) -- Jordan Hulls scored a season-high 24 points, all on 3-pointers, and Derek Elston scored five of the first seven points in overtime to help Indiana get past Northwestern 88-80 Saturday.
The victory ended Indiana's 11-game losing streak and gave the Hoosiers (10-20, 4-14 Big Ten) their first win since Jan. 21.
Northwestern (19-12, 7-11) was led by John Shurna with 31 points and Michael Thompson with 25, not enough for a school-record 20th win.
The Hoosiers appeared headed toward a victory after taking a 69-61 lead with 3:24 left in regulation.
But two turnovers and two missed free throws allowed Northwestern to rally, and the Wildcats finally tied it 69-69 on Thompson's 3-pointer with 1:12 to go.
In overtime, Elston and Hulls combined for the first seven points to make it 76-69, and Northwestern never seriously challenged again. Elston had a season-high 17.
- NCAA BB
INDIANA 88 FINAL IN 1ST OT
Mar 6 2:23 PM
- NCAA BB
INDIANA 34 HALFTIME
Mar 6 12:51 PM
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Indiana tops Kentucky 73-67 for Sweet 16 berth Mar 19
- Kentucky and Indiana square off for first time in 4 years Mar 18
- Indiana prepares for Chattanooga, No. 12 seed pressure Mar 16
- Ferrell says Indiana legacy incomplete without deep NCAA run Mar 14