La Salle 59, Saint Joseph's 74Mar 7, 2010 - 12:47 AM PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Garrett Williamson scored 18 points and St. Joseph's defeated La Salle 74-59 on Saturday.
The Hawks (11-19, 5-11 Atlantic 10 Conference) clinched the final seed in the 12-team conference tournament that begins March 9. LaSalle (12-18, 4-12), did not make the tournament because of its loss and Massachussetts' win over Rhode Island.
Williamson made all 10 of his free throw attempts but was only 4 of 10 from the field. Darrin Govens added 17 points, Carl Jones had 16, and Idris Hilliard had 13 points and 10 rebounds for the Hawks.
St. Joseph's never trailed and led 38-27 at halftime. The Hawks built their biggest lead of the game at 73-57 after a layup by Jones with 1:38 to play. The basket capped a 12-2 run for the Hawks.
Kimmani Barrett scored 15 points and Rodney Green added 12 for the Explorers, who lost 10 of their last 12 games.
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- Saint Joseph's flying high as Atlantic 10 contenders Feb 19
- Saint Joseph's rolls to 75-60 win over Penn Jan 20
- No. 24 Davidson beats La Salle at buzzer Mar 13
- Explorers seek upset of Wildcats in A-10 Tournament Mar 13
- La Salle downs slumping VCU in double OT Feb 11
- Explorers seek upset of 20th-ranked Rams Feb 11
- Sharp shooting leads VCU past Saint Joseph's Jan 11
- Hawks seek upset of 20th-ranked Rams Jan 10
- No. 10 Villanova rolls past Saint Joseph's Dec 6
- Bitter rivals clash, as Hawks visit Wildcats Dec 6