Saint Louis holds off Dayton 71-66Mar 7, 2010 - 2:55 AM DAYTON, Ohio(AP) -- Kwamain Mitchell scored 20 points and Saint Louis held off Dayton 71-66 on Saturday night in the regular-season finale for both teams.
Trailing 17-16 with 12:07 left in the first half, the Billikens (20-10, 11-5 Atlantic 10 Conference) held the Flyers scoreless for the next 10 minutes while building a 34-17 lead with 3:07 to go. Saint Louis did not score again in the half, leading 34-19 at halftime.
Dayton (19-11, 8-8) opened the second half on an 8-0 run, closing to 58-56 with 2:38 left. Mitchell answered with a jumper and Christian Salecich hit a 3 to push the lead back to seven. The Billikens were 8-for-12 from the free throw line to seal the win despite two Flyers 3-pointers in the final 10 seconds.
Chris Wright scored 15 points and Kurt Huelsman had 13 for the Flyers, who shot 29.2 percent (7-for-24) in the first half and 58.1 percent (18-for-31) in the second.
- University of Dayton center Steve McElvene dies May 12
- Dayton gives coach Archie Miller an extra year on contract Mar 23
- Boeheim has Orange back in NCAA Tournament opposite Dayton Mar 17
- Dayton extends Archie Miller's contract through 2021-22 Mar 26
- Oklahoma advances to Sweet 16 with win over Dayton Mar 22
- Flyers and Sooners mix it up in third-round action Mar 22
- Pierre leads Dayton past Providence Mar 21
- Dayton and Providence meet in second round of NCAA Tourney Mar 20
- Dayton holds home court, beats Boise State to advance Mar 19
- Flyers and Broncos meet in first round of NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Graham leads VCU past Dayton for A-10 crown Mar 15
- VCU seeks redemption in A-10 title game Mar 15