ASU beats UCLA 56-46, keeps NCAA hopes aliveMar 7, 2010 - 1:11 AM By BOB BAUM AP Sports Writer
TEMPE, Ariz.(AP) -- Eric Boateng had 16 points, a career-high 14 rebounds and a career-best four blocked shots as Arizona State breathed a little more life into its NCAA tournament hopes with a wire-to-wire 56-46 victory over UCLA on Saturday.
The 6-foot-10 senior had a layup, two blocked shots and consecutive offensive rebounds on a late possession for Arizona State.
The Sun Devils (22-9, 12-6) already had wrapped up the No. 2 seed in next week's Pac-10 tournament. Their shot at a Pac-10 co-championship ended when California beat Stanford on Saturday.
Arizona State raced to a 13-0 lead and UCLA never caught up.
Nikola Dragovic and Malcolm Lee scored 15 apiece for the Bruins (13-17, 8-10), who are, barring some miracle finish, headed for their third losing season since 1947-48.
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Arizona State's Savon Goodman leaves the program Mar 24
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- Arizona State's Spight leaves program, will transfer Feb 23
- Arizona State looking forward to challenge in Lexington Dec 10
- Arizona State rolls over Kennesaw State 91-53 Nov 18
- Arizona State Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Hurley adds big boost of excitement at Arizona State Oct 28
- UCLA has deep, balanced team in Steve Alford's 3rd season Oct 28
- UCLA Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Hurley trying to make the pieces fit at Arizona State Sep 30