Central Arkansas beats McNeese State 76-72Mar 6, 2010 - 11:28 PM LAKE CHARLES, La.(AP) -- Mitch Rueter finished with 25 points to lead Central Arkansas to a 76-72 victory over McNeese State on Saturday in both teams' regular season finale.
Both teams failed to make the eight-team Southland Conference tournament.
Jared Ehmel added 20 points for the Bears (9-21, 3-13), who snapped a five-game losing streak to close out their season. Rueter and Ehmel nailed four 3-pointers each, and Central Arkansas shot 10-for-20 from beyond the arc as a team.
The game was tied at 68 with 1:34 remaining, but two free throws from Ehmel and a layup from Tandre Sheppard put the Bears up 72-68 with 23 seconds left. Sheppard and Ehmel each made two free throws down the stretch to ice the game.
Stephan Martin led the way for the Cowboys (10-20, 5-11) with 18 points on 8 of 13 shooting. McNeese State closes their season losing three of their last four games.
- No. 21 Nebraska takes care of Central Arkansas Nov 19
- Bears hope to claw way past 21st-ranked Cornhuskers Nov 18
- San Diego State blows past McNeese State Dec 22
- No. 24 San Diego State entertains McNeese State Dec 21
- Balanced attack sends Michigan State past McNeese State Nov 9
- No. 2 Michigan State opens against McNeese State Nov 8
- North Carolina routs McNeese State Dec 22
- McNeese State comes calling on No. 23 North Carolina Dec 22
- No. 24 Cowboys set sights on Bears Dec 16
- Lamar downs McNeese State in Southland final Mar 11
- Cardinals and Cowboys clash for Southland crown Mar 10
- UNLV drops 124 on overmatched Central Arkansas Dec 29