Texas A&M-Corpus Christi holds on in 82-79 winMar 7, 2010 - 4:15 AM CORPUS CRISTI, Texas(AP) -- Kevin Palmer scored a game-high 26 points to lift Texas A&M-Corpus Christi to an 82-79 victory over Texas-Arlington on Saturday night in the final game of the regular season for both teams.
The Islanders (16-14, 10-6 Southland) were up by 12 points early in the second half.
But Texas-Arlington (16-13. 8-8) chipped away to pull within a point, 79-80, with six seconds left on a 3-pointer by LaMarcus Reed III.
Palmer, however, then made a pair of free throws with three seconds left to clinch the win.
Demond Watt added 24 points for the Islanders, while Horace Bond had 11 points and Shamar Coombs had 10.
Marquez Haynes led the Mavericks with 17 points. Brandon Long added 15 points and Jordan Reves had 10.
With the win, the Islanders clinched the No. 3 seed in the Southland Conference tournament, which begins next week. The Mavericks will enter at No. 7.
- NCAA BB
TEXAS ARLINGTON 79
TX A&M CORP CHR 82 FINAL
Mar 6 10:23 PM
- NCAA BB
TEXAS ARLINGTON 34
TX A&M CORP CHR 37 HALFTIME
Mar 6 9:03 PM
- Longhorns fend off Texas-Arlington Dec 3
- Mavericks face tall task in meeting with Longhorns Dec 2
- No. 1 Kentucky routs UT-Arlington 92-44 Nov 26
- Mavericks face uphill climb in clash with top-ranked Wildcats Nov 25
- Young, Kentucky top UTA Nov 19
- Mavericks face uphill climb in clash with fourth-ranked Wildcats Nov 19
- New Mexico State wins WAC Mar 17
- Mavericks square off with Aggies in WAC championship game Mar 16
- Oklahoma State pounds UT-Arlington Dec 19
- Mavericks come calling on 24th-ranked Cowboys Dec 19
- UT-Arlington extends Cross through 2016 Apr 17
- Turner helps Aggies down Islanders Nov 26