Blakely sparks 78-69 Vermont win over BinghamtonFeb 28, 2010 - 8:14 PM BURLINGTON, Vt.(AP) -- Marqus Blakely scored 17 points, blocked three shots and had two steals in Vermont's 78-69 win over Binghamton in the regular season finale for both teams on Sunday.
The Catamounts (22-9, 12-4 America East Conference) scored 15 points off 11 turnovers, including six off three Bearcats' giveaways in a key late run.
Binghamton (13-8, 8-8) pulled within 67-63 with 3:24 remaining, but ran into turnover trouble.
Following a Bearcats' turnover, Maurice Joseph grabbed the offensive rebound on a blocked shot and hit a layup with 2:48 left for a 67-63 Vermont lead.
Blakely then stole the inbounds pass and Garvey Young's uncontested layup gave the Bearcats a 72-63 lead with 2:40 remaining. Blakely turned a Dylan Talley turnover into an 11-point advantage with 2 minutes left.
Talley finished with 20 points for Binghamton, which snapped a two-game winning streak.
- Vermont basketball player suspended for reselling textbooks Dec 24
- Fair, Cooney lead No. 4 Syracuse in rout of Binghamton Dec 7
- No. 4 Syracuse hosts Binghamton Dec 7
- Duke survives with late win over Vermont Nov 24
- Vermont comes calling on No. 6 Duke Nov 24
- Iati lifts Albany over Vermont in America East title game Mar 16
- Albany takes on Vermont in America East title tilt Mar 16
- Binghamton provides little resistance to No. 3 Michigan Dec 11
- No. 3 Wolverines take on Bearcats Dec 11
- Napier, UConn top Vermont Nov 13
- Vermont seeks upset of No. 23 UConn Nov 13
- Dempsey leaving Rider for Binghamton May 24