Long Beach State squeezes past UC Riverside 76-74Mar 6, 2010 - 6:41 AM LONG BEACH, Calif.(AP) -- Stefan Gilling and Greg Plater combined for nine 3-pointers as Long Beach State edged UC Riverside 76-74 on Friday night.
Gilling's 18 points included four 3-pointers and Plater made five among his 17 points for the 49ers (15-15, 8-8 Big West), who converted 10 of 20 3-point attempts and locked up the fourth seed in the conference tournament. T.J. Robinson added 14 points and Casper Ware 11.
Larry Gurganious hit 9 of 10 shots and scored a game-high 22 points to lead the Highlanders (12-17, 5-11). Rudy Meo contributed 12, and Bryson Hampton and Lateef McMullan had 10 apiece.
Hampton's layup with 3:56 left tied the game 66-66.
But Larry Anderson sank two free throws for Long Beach State, then hit a layup on the next possession to put the 49ers ahead to stay 70-66. The Highlanders got within one point twice more but never took the lead.
- NCAA BB
UC RIVERSIDE 74
LONG BEACH ST 76 FINAL
Mar 6 12:37 AM
- NCAA BB
UC RIVERSIDE 26
LONG BEACH ST 37 HALFTIME
Mar 5 11:25 PM
- Louisville handles Long Beach to get back on track Dec 30
- Cardinals seek redemption in clash with 49ers Dec 30
- No. 17 St. John's routs Long Beach State Dec 23
- Highlanders and Aztecs mix it up in non-conference action Dec 22
- 49ers hoping to calm Red Storm Dec 22
- Texas holds off Long Beach State Dec 21
- Long Beach State faces uphill climb in tussle with Texas Dec 20
- San Diego State edges Long Beach State Dec 11
- Aztecs to try and continue dominance over Golden State foes Dec 10
- No. 25 Utah hammers UC Riverside Nov 21
- Utes seek turnaround against visiting Highlanders Nov 21
- Missouri gets past Long Beach State Jan 4