Stony Brook defeats Vermont 82-78Feb 25, 2010 - 3:49 AM STONY BROOK, N.Y.(AP) -- Muhammad El-Amin scored 23 points and Stony Brook clinched its first America East Conference regular-season title with an 82-78 victory over Vermont on Wednesday night.
Dallis Joyner added 20 points as the Seawolves (21-7, 13-2) earned the top seed for the conference tournament, which begins March 4.
The Seawolves took a 66-46 advantage with 8:07 remaining.
Vermont (21-9, 11-4) cut the deficit to 71-66 on Evan Fjeld's 3-pointer with 2:25 to play and then to 77-74 as Maurice Joseph connected on a 3-pointer with 51 seconds left. Stony Brook's Tommy Brenton hit a layup and Bryan Dougher sealed the win with two free throws for a 81-75 lead with 8 seconds to play.
Dougher finished with 18 points and Chris Martin added 15 for the Seawolves. Brenton had 11 rebounds.
Fjeld scored 24, Joseph had 21 and Marqus Blakely added 14 for Vermont, which had won seven straight.
- NCAA BB
STONY BROOK 82 FINAL
Feb 24 9:20 PM
- NCAA BB
STONY BROOK 40 HALFTIME
Feb 24 7:56 PM
- Stony Brook hires Ohio State's Boals as basketball coach Apr 9
- Kentucky routs Stony Brook 85-57, gets Indiana next Mar 18
- No. 4 seed Kentucky opens NCAA Tournament vs. Stony Brook Mar 17
- At Stony Brook, team and fan help each other cope with loss Mar 16
- Vermont basketball player suspended for reselling textbooks Dec 24
- Stony Brook with 91-42 win over Div. III Farmingdale State Nov 28
- Albany stuns Stony Brook to win third straight AEC crown Mar 14
- Stony Brook and Albany meet for AEC title Mar 14
- Stony Brook stuns No. 13 Washington Dec 28
- Seawolves head to land of Seahawks to test Huskies Dec 28
- Albany tops Stony Brook to repeat as America East champ Mar 15
- Albany and Stony Brook meet for America East crown Mar 15