Memphis knocks off Marshall 75-72Jan 28, 2010 - 4:08 AM HUNTINGTON, W.Va.(AP) -- Elliot Williams scored 24 points and Memphis scored the game's final five points to take a 75-72 victory over Marshall on Wednesday night.
Trailing 72-70, Williams hit a layup to tie the score with 1:11 to play. He was fouled and converted the free throw for a one-point advantage, then Roburt Sallie added two free throws with 6 seconds remaining.
Marshall missed three shots from the floor and two free throw attempts in the final 34 seconds.
Sallie and Will Coleman added 12 points each for the Tigers (15-5, 5-1 Conference USA), who won their second straight game.
There were seven ties and six lead changes.
Marshall (15-5, 4-2), which has lost three straight games, was led by Hassan Whiteside, who scored 22 points, had eight rebounds and seven blocks.
Damier Pitts had 18 and Tyler Wilkerson scored 12 points for Marshall.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MEMPHIS 36 39 75
MARSHALL 26 46 72 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: MEMPHIS - ELLIOT WILLIAMS 24, WILL COLEMAN 12,
ROBURT SALLIE 12
MARSHALL - HASSAN WHITESIDE 22, DAMIER PITTS 18,
TYLER WILKERSON 12
Jan 27 10:13 PM
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Marshall assistant coach Chris Duhon suspended after arrest Nov 30
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Moore leads No. 21 SMU over Memphis Feb 27
- SMU and Memphis collide in AAC action Feb 26