Cumberland, Tenn. 54, Middle Tennessee 87Nov 28, 2009 - 3:30 AM MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (AP) -- James Gallman scored 19 points and Middle Tennessee State defeated Cumberland 87-54 on Friday night.
The Blue Raiders (3-3) shot 51.4 percent (18 of 35) in a second half in which they outscored the Bulldogs 50-24.
Tied 12-12 early, Middle Tennessee scored eight straight points to lead 20-12 on two free throws by Montarrio Haddock with 9:37 left until halftime. The Blue Raiders led 37-30 at halftime, as Cumberland (1-7) committed 17 of its 28 turnovers in the first half.
Lamar Brinkley pulled the Bulldogs within 37-32 on a jump shot 19 seconds into the second half. But Middle Tennessee pulled away with 20 straight points to lead 57-32 on a 3-pointer by Gallman with 14:50 to play.
The Blue Raiders also received 11 assists and five steals from James Washington III.
Brandon Springer scored 24 points for the Bulldogs.
- Middle Tennessee State sets sights on upset of Syracuse Mar 19
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- Potts out indefinitely with concussion for Middle Tennessee Feb 26
- UAB buries Middle Tennessee to claim C-USA crown Mar 14
- Blue Raiders, Blazers collide in C-USA title match Mar 14
- Bluejays and Blue Raiders meet in Emerald Coast Classic Nov 29
- No. 16 Florida races past Middle Tennessee Nov 22
- Blue Raiders put perfect mark on line against 16th-ranked Gators Nov 21
- Hail to the Gaels; Saint Mary's tops MTSU to gain Memphis matchup Mar 20
- Gaels, Blue Raiders square off in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 19
- Boynton, Gators drop Blue Raiders Nov 19
- Blue Raiders and Gators clash in battle of unbeatens Nov 18