Hot-shooting Drake trounces South Dakota 96-81Dec 12, 2009 - 3:28 AM DES MOINES, Iowa(AP) -- Josh Young scored 21 points as Drake, lighting it up from 3-point range, pulled away from South Dakota 96-81 Friday night at the Drake Invitational.
Ben Simons added 20 for the Bulldogs (4-5), who shot 53.8 percent from long distance (14 of 26). Adam Templeton contributed a double-double of 17 points and 16 rebounds, Ryan Wedel scored 14 and Craig Stanley had 13.
Tyler Cain and Jake Thomas scored 16 apiece for the Coyotes (5-4), whose three-game winning streak ended. Roman Gentry added 14 points and Mitchell Bouie 11, and Cain had team highs of 11 rebounds and five assists.
Most statistics were even - except shooting. Besides their 3-point marksmanship, the Bulldogs shot 50 percent from the floor (33 of 66) and 84.2 percent from the line (16 of 19). South Dakota shot 42.3 percent (30 of 71) and 66.7 percent from the line (10 of 15).
- IPFW beats South Dakota 86-70 in Summit League quarterfinal Mar 5
- South Dakota takes down Florida Gulf Coast 89-81 in OT Dec 28
- Drake hoping to turn corner in 2015-16 Oct 5
- Northern Iowa easily handles Drake Feb 7
- Bulldogs hit road to challenge 14th-ranked Panthers Feb 7
- No. 14 Wichita State routs Drake Jan 25
- Drake seeks upset of No. 14 Wichita State Jan 25
- Baker lifts No. 16 Wichita State past Drake Dec 31
- Bulldogs host Shockers in MVC action Dec 31
- Iowa State crushes Drake Dec 20
- 13th-ranked Cyclones clash with Bulldogs Dec 20
- Cotton, Wichita State rout Drake Feb 23