Hayward's late free throws give Butler winNov 28, 2009 - 9:05 AM ANAHEIM, Calif.(AP) -- Gordon Hayward saved Butler from being upset with two clutch free throws.
Hayward made two free throws with 0.6 seconds to play, giving No. 12 Butler a 69-67 victory over UCLA in the 76 Classic on Friday night.
Shelvin Mack scored a season-high 21 points for the Bulldogs (4-1). Hayward finished with 11 points and eight rebounds.
"Winning is unusual," Butler coach Brad Stevens said. "That's one of the things we talk about all the time. When you play a championship team that has not had its best night, then you know what you're getting."
UCLA began the 76 Classic with a 74-47 loss to Portland on Thursday night.
"I think we made a step in the right direction in terms of our effort and our intensity for 40 minutes," Bruins coach Ben Howland said. "If we continue to work this hard and play this hard, we're going to be a much improved team."
UCLA, which trailed by nine points with 9:58 remaining, tied it at 67 on Jerime Anderson's 3-point shot with 8.6 seconds left.
"They hit big shots late," Stevens said of the Bruins. "Anderson was making plays, Malcolm Lee was making plays and the young big guys (Drew Gordon and Reeves Nelson) hurt us."
On the ensuing inbound play, Hayward received Avery Jukes' pass, drove the lane under intense physical pressure, was fouled by Michael Roll and made both free throws.
"When I had the ball and looked up, I didn't realize that we didn't have that much time left," Hayward said. "I just tried to take (the ball) down the floor and get to the basket."
Hayward then intercepted Anderson's long inbound pass intended for Nicola Dragovic in the Bruins' frontcourt as time expired.
Dragovic had 14 points and six rebounds for the Bruins (2-3), who had three players foul out. Malcolm Lee added 11 points and four assists.
Butler used a 12-3 surge to take a 21-11 lead with 9:14 left in the first half, and led by 14 points with 7:38 before halftime. Mack scored 16 points in the first half.
- NCAA BB
BUTLER (12) 69 FINAL
Nov 28 2:13 AM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
UCLA 35 35
BUTLER (12) 42 42 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
UCLA - MALCOLM LEE 9, NIKOLA DRAGOVIC 7, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 6
BUTLER - SHELVIN MACK 14, ZACH HAHN 7, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 6
Nov 28 12:54 AM
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9