Mississippi State beats Old Dominion 69-55Nov 29, 2009 - 12:43 AM SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, Texas(AP) -- Sophomore guard Dee Bost scored 25 points, including six 3-pointers, to lead Mississippi State to a 69-55 win over Old Dominion, clinching third place in the South Padre Island Invitational on Saturday.
Senior forward Jarvis Varnado scored 13 points for the Bulldogs (4-2) in only nine minutes of first-half play after dislocating his left pinkie finger about 40 seconds into the game. He finished with 15 points.
Kodi Augustus and Barry Stewart each scored 10 points and combined to pull down 10 rebounds.
The Monarchs (4-2) got within three with 10 minutes to go, but endured an eight-minute scoring drought late in the game.
Gerald Lee led the Monarchs with 20 points. Ben Finney scored 10.
- Mississippi St G Newman opts for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 22
- Weatherspoon leading Mississippi State's resurgence Feb 23
- Scoring spree: ODU guard Trey Freeman putting up big numbers Feb 17
- Mississippi State still trying to turn corner under Howland Jan 15
- Mississippi State suspends F Demetrius Houston indefinitely Nov 17
- Mississippi St Preview Capsule Oct 29
- Mississippi State pins turnaround hopes on Newman, Howland Oct 29
- Howland named Mississippi State basketball coach Mar 23
- Mississippi State fires Ray after 3 seasons Mar 21
- UK routs Mississippi State to stay unbeaten Feb 25
- Top-ranked Wildcats continue run against Bulldogs Feb 25
- Arkansas holds on for 6th straight win Feb 21