Northwestern tops Iowa State 67-65 in title gameNov 29, 2009 - 3:47 AM CHICAGO(AP) -- John Shurna scored 23 points and Michael Thompson added 16 as Northwestern defeated Iowa State 67-65 Saturday night in the championship game of Chicago Invitational Tournament.
Shurna, a sophomore, outperformed preseason All-American candidate Craig Brackins and Notre Dame's Luke Harangody to win the invitational's MVP award.
Craig Brackins and Lucca Staiger each had 18 points for Iowa State (6-1).
Northwestern (5-1) went on an 11-3 run early in the second half to erase a 48-40 deficit. Shurna had back-to-back baskets in the span and Thompson made a 3 to tie the score at 51 with 10:53 left.
The Wildcats built a 63-56 lead with 3:09 left before the Cyclones scored five straight points to close within 63-61 with 1:34 left. Jeremy Nash made a pair of free throws to extend the Northwestern lead to 65-61 with 21.3 left, and the Wildcats held on to close out the win.
- NCAA BB
IOWA ST 65 FINAL
Nov 28 10:00 PM
- NCAA BB
IOWA ST 39 HALFTIME
Nov 28 8:46 PM
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8
- Cyclones' season starts with Final 4 hopes, ends in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Iowa State struggles early, falls to Virginia 84-71 Mar 26
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Iowa State coach Prohm helps Cyclones reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Iowa State's Niang honed his craft guarding Nerlens Noel Mar 18