Richmond wins tournament, beating Missouri 59-52Nov 29, 2009 - 4:10 AM SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, Texas(AP) -- David Gonzalvez scored 18 points to lead Richmond to a thrilling 59-52 win over Missouri on Saturday night to clinch the South Padre Island Invitational.
Gonzalvez gave the Spiders (6-1) the lead for good with a 3-pointer from the top of the key with a little more than four minutes remaining.
The Tigers (4-1) kept it close after that, even pulling within two points when Laurence Bowers hit a shot with eight seconds left to make it 54-52.
However, after being fouled, Kevin Anderson hit two free throws with four seconds left to give Richmond some breathing room. He scored 14 points overall.
Anderson, who also hit the winning shot against Mississippi State the night before, was named the tournament's most valuable player.
Sophomore guard Kim English led the Tigers off the bench with 14 points.
- NCAA BB
RICHMOND 59 FINAL
Nov 28 10:18 PM
- NCAA BB
RICHMOND 33 HALFTIME
Nov 28 8:58 PM
- Missouri players Isabell, Wright decide to transfer Mar 15
- Richmond reserve Wood to miss 2nd game with concussion Mar 10
- Anderson gets vote of confidence from athletic director Mar 9
- Missouri says F D'Angelo Allen plans to transfer Feb 29
- Passing fancy: Nancy Lieberman's son also an adept passer Feb 23
- Missouri dismisses junior guard Wes Clark Feb 16
- Missouri's suspended players Gant, Woods in doubt vs Vandy Feb 9
- Banned Missouri booster says he meant no harm Jan 19
- Missouri admits NCAA hoops violations, vacates '13-14 season Jan 14
- Missouri at a glance Oct 29
- Missouri adds new faces, still picked to finish last in SEC Oct 29
- Richmond nips No. 22 VCU in double OT Feb 26