Cent. Connecticut State tops Savannah State 51-44Nov 29, 2009 - 4:50 AM CHARLESTON, S.C.(AP) -- Bobby Ptacek scored 16 points and Shemik Thompson added 15 as Central Connecticut State held off Savannah State 51-44 on Saturday night.
The Blue Devils (1-2) jumped out to an 18-8 lead and led 22-19 at halftime as the Tigers shot only 28.6 percent (6-for-21) from the field in the first half of the Skip Prosser Classic.
Savannah State (3-3) tied the game on five occasions in the second half, the last time at 42 with 3:47 left.
Thompson then made a layup and Ptacek scored on a three-point play to put Central Connecticut State up 47-42 with 23 seconds on the clock. Thompson hit four foul shots to seal the win.
Although Savannah State shot 34 percent from the floor for the game (16-for-47), Arnold Louis didn't miss a shot while scoring 12 points. He was 4-for-4 from the field and 4-for-4 from the free throw line.
Louis also grabbed 15 rebounds.
- NCAA BB
SAVANNAH ST 44
CENTRAL CONN 51 FINAL
Nov 28 6:53 PM
- NCAA BB
SAVANNAH ST 19
CENTRAL CONN 22 HALFTIME
Nov 28 5:47 PM
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- Dickenman retires after 20 years at Central Connecticut Feb 19
- CCSU holds off late charge by Robert Morris to win, 75-70 Feb 4
- Robert Morris uses late first-half run, beats CCSU 59-45 Jan 21
- Carter, Robinson carry BC past Central Conn. 82-57 Nov 19
- Hurricanes have easy time with Savannah State Dec 9
- Hurricanes hope to rebound in bout with visiting Tigers Dec 8
- Louisville destroys overmatched Savannah State Nov 24
- Cardinals expect to soar in clash with visiting Tigers Nov 24
- Baylor keeps home streak alive, routs Savannah State Jan 3
- Hapless Tigers tangle with surging Bears Jan 3
- Florida thumps Savannah State Dec 29