Young, Hawley lead Drake to 72-63 victoryDec 6, 2009 - 4:32 AM DES MOINES, Iowa(AP) -- Drake got 17 points from Josh Young and 16 from Aaron Hawley on Saturday night to defeat North Dakota 72-63.
The Bulldogs (3-5) were ahead 37-27 at halftime and opened the second half with a 12-2 run to build that lead to 49-29. North Dakota (1-8) got within six, 69-63, in the final minute but ran out of time down the stretch.
Neither team shot the ball well. Drake hit just 38.3 percent (18 for 47) of its shots from the field and 26.9 percent (7 for 26) from 3-point range. North Dakota was even worse, shooting 35.7 percent (20 for 56) from the field and 21.4 percent (6 for 28) from long range.
Travis Mertens led the Fighting Sioux with 13 points, followed by Spencer Goodman with 12, Chris Clausen with 11 and Patrick Mitchell with 10.
- North Dakota sells Fighting Sioux items to satisfy NCAA Feb 18
- North Dakota beats NAIA's Valley City State 80-59 Dec 17
- Youngstown St. tops N. Dakota 79-69 for Slocum's 700th win Nov 23
- Drake hoping to turn corner in 2015-16 Oct 5
- Northern Iowa easily handles Drake Feb 7
- Bulldogs hit road to challenge 14th-ranked Panthers Feb 7
- No. 14 Wichita State routs Drake Jan 25
- Drake seeks upset of No. 14 Wichita State Jan 25
- Baker lifts No. 16 Wichita State past Drake Dec 31
- Bulldogs host Shockers in MVC action Dec 31
- Iowa State crushes Drake Dec 20
- 13th-ranked Cyclones clash with Bulldogs Dec 20