Southern Illinois edges San Francisco, 67-66Dec 21, 2009 - 3:12 AM LAS VEGAS(AP) -- Kevin Dillard's layup with 12.2 seconds remaining was the difference as Southern Illinois defeated San Francisco 67-66 Sunday at the Holiday Hoops Classic.
It was the second straight close call for the Salukis (7-2). They beat San Diego 70-68 Saturday night on two free throws by Carlton Fay at the end of regulation.
Although San Francisco (3-9) dominated for most of the first half Sunday and led 33-29 at the buzzer, Southern Illinois hit a pair of 3-pointers as the half ended.
The game included one tie and seven lead changes, the last one coming on Dillard's layup.
Dillard led the scoring for Southern Illinois with 18 points, followed by Fay with 15 and Tony Freeman with 14. Dior Lowhorn was the top scorer for the Dons with 24 points, and Kwame Vaughn scored 15.
- New San Francisco coach Kyle Smith seeks another turnaround Apr 1
- Kyle Smith new San Francisco basketball coach Mar 30
- San Francisco fires coach Rex Walters after 8 seasons Mar 9
- Gonzaga rallies to down San Francisco Mar 8
- Dons challenge Zags in WCC Tournament action Mar 7
- Wichita State tops SIU in MVC QFs Mar 6
- Salukis seek upset of Shockers in MVC Tournament Mar 6
- Wichita State cruises past Southern Illinois Feb 17
- Salukis face tall task in clash with 13th-ranked Shockers Feb 17
- Gonzaga holds off San Francisco Feb 8
- Northern Iowa stays hot with win over Southern Illinois Jan 28
- MVC melee pits Panthers against Salukis Jan 28