BYU beats Nebraska 88-66 to win Las Vegas ClassicDec 24, 2009 - 6:03 AM LAS VEGAS(AP) -- Jimmer Fredette scored 24 points and Jackson Emery had 23 and eight rebounds to lead BYU over Nebraska 88-66 in the championship game of the Las Vegas Classic on Wednesday night.
Brandon Davies added 16 points for the Cougars (12-1), who never trailed and shot 61.2 percent (30 of 49).
Eshaunte Jones led the Cornhuskers (9-3) with 21 points and was 5 of 7 from 3-point range. Brandon Richardson added 13 points.
Fredette shot 8 of 12 from the field and was named tournament MVP.
BYU built a 16-2 lead early and was up 37-5 with 8:45 left in the first half. Nebraska got back into the game with an 18-1 run, thanks partly to the absence of Fredette, who was on the bench with two fouls.
The Cougars led 49-35 at halftime before pushing their lead to a much as 26 in the second half.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NEBRASKA 35 31 66
BRIGHAM YOUNG 49 39 88 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: NEBRASKA - ESHAUNTE JONES 21, BRANDON RICHARDSON
13, TWO PLAYERS WITH 7
BRIGHAM YOUNG - JIMMER FREDETTE 24, JACKSON EMERY 23,
BRANDON DAVIES 14
Dec 24 12:36 AM
- NCAA BB
BYU 49 HALFTIME
Dec 23 11:32 PM
- Miami transfer, coveted 6-11 center sign with Cornhuskers May 17
- Butler assistant Michael Lewis joining Miles' Nebraska staff May 3
- Huskers' Andrew White declaring for draft but could return Apr 21
- Nebraska assistant resigning to take same job at Boise St. Apr 12
- Nebraska, Kansas agree to meet in basketball next 2 seasons Mar 1
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Huskers' Shields hits head, will follow concussion protocol Feb 6
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- BYU guard Nick Emery suspended 1 game for punching opponent Dec 3
- BYU's Kyle Collinsworth relishes Mr. Triple-Double title Dec 3