USC beats UNLV in Diamond Head Classic finalDec 26, 2009 - 5:33 AM HONOLULU(AP) -- Marcus Johnson had 19 points and nine rebounds to help Southern California beat UNLV 67-56 on Friday night in the Diamond Head Classic final.
Johnson, a 6-foot-6, 210-pound senior forward, was 8 of 14 from the field. Dwight Lewis added 14 points for the Trojans (8-4), and tournament MVP Mike Gerrity had 13.
Oscar Bellfield led UNLV (12-2) with 17 points. The Rebels shot 34 percent (17 of 50) from the field, going 5 of 22 from 3-point range.
USC had a 12-0 run late in the half, capped by Lewis' layup, and the Trojans had a 39-25 lead at the break. The Trojans led by 19 late in the second half.
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- Southern California extends coach Andy Enfield's contract Mar 28
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- USC chosen for first NCAA Tournament since 2011 Mar 13
- Power outage briefly cuts lights at Oregon-USC game Mar 5
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8