Northeastern skates past Kent State 61-58Dec 31, 2009 - 6:44 AM SANTA CLARA, Calif.(AP) -- Matt Janning scored seven of his 16 points in the final six minutes and Mathiang Mua hit two free throws in the final eight seconds to lift Northeastern to a 61-58 victory over Kent State in the championship game of the Cable Car Classic on Wednesday night.
Chaisson Allen added 12 points for the Huskies (5-7), who have won three straight following a five-game losing streak.
Justin Greene scored 13 of his 15 points in the second half to lead the Golden Flashes (8-5), who had a three-game winning streak snapped. Rodriguez Sherman had 13 points.
Janning's 3-pointer with 1:17 left broke a tie at 56. Greene scored to bring Kent State within a point, but Mua grabbed a rebound and was sent to the foul line with eight seconds left.
Northeastern built a 30-18 advantage with just over three minutes left in the first half, the biggest lead of the game for either team.
- Irish survive upset bid in NCAA opener Mar 19
- Midwest Regional action pits Irish against Huskies Mar 19
- Northeastern dancing for first time since 1991 Mar 9
- Huskies and Tribe meet for CAA crown Mar 9
- Oubre shines as Kansas tops Kent St. Dec 30
- Kent State tangles with No. 13 Kansas Dec 30
- James Madison wins CAA crown, ends NCAA tourney drought Mar 12
- Dukes and Huskies meet in CAA title tilt Mar 11
- Kent State visits West Virginia in early morning clash Nov 15
- Akron wins MAC crown over Kent State in OT Mar 12
- Northeastern signs Coen to extension May 3
- Geno Ford gets 2-year extension at Kent State Apr 2