Long helps Elon hang on to beat Gardner-Webb 84-79Feb 21, 2010 - 3:32 AM BOILING SPRINGS, N.C.(AP) -- Chris Long scored 24 points, including two free throws with 7 seconds left, to lift Elon over Gardner-Webb 84-79 on Saturday night.
The Phoenix (8-19) led the nonconference game 79-67 with 1:28 left before Anton Silver led a comeback that brought the Runnin' Bulldogs (7-20) within three points, 82-79, with 11 seconds left.
After Silver, who scored 21 points, hit two free throws to start the comeback, Adam Constantine missed two for Elon. After Long made one of two, Silver's layup made it 80-71.
Drew Spradlin missed two free throws for Elon and Silver sank a 3-pointer. After a turnover by Constantine, Silver hit a 2-pointer to make it 80-76 with 28 seconds left.
Grayson Flittner's 3-pointer cut it to 82-79 with 11 seconds left after Constantine and Long each made one of two free throws.
Spradlin scored 18 points for Elon, and Flittner had 18 for Gardner-Webb.
- Okafor's big night carries Duke over Elon Dec 15
- Duke gets back to work against Elon Dec 15
- Arizona runs away from Gardner-Webb in second half Dec 2
- Bulldogs hit road seeking upset of third-ranked Wildcats Dec 2
- Winter storm postpones Elon at Furman Feb 12
- UMass continues winning ways, downs Elon Jan 18
- Minutemen meet Phoenix in non-league tussle Jan 18
- Duke routs Elon Dec 31
- Elon seeks upset of No. 7 Duke Dec 31
- Duke takes care of Gardner-Webb Dec 16
- Runnin' Bulldogs seek upset of mighty Blue Devils Dec 16
- Dinwiddie leads Colorado over Elon Dec 14