Fjeld leads Vermont over Fairfield 77-67Feb 20, 2010 - 10:40 PM BURLINGTON, Vt.(AP) -- Evan Fjeld scored 17 points to lead Vermont to a 77-67 victory over Fairfield on Saturday.
Nick Vier, Maurice Joseph and Marqus Blakley added 14 apiece for the Catamounts (21-8), who won their seventh in a row.
Vier hit three consecutive 3-pointers in the first 1:19 of the second half, when Vermont increased a 33-26 halftime lead to 42-28.
After the Stags (18-9) got within a point, 58-57, on a three-point play by Colin Nickerson with 4:49 remaining, the Catamounts went on an 11-0 run. A dunk by Blakley made it 69-57 with 2:16 left.
Vermont, of the America East Conference, was 6-for-10 on 3-pointers and shot 48.1 percent (26-for-54) overall, while the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Stags shot 37.3 percent (22-for-59) and were just 6-for-22 behind the arc.
Nickerson scored 20 points and Derek Needham 15 for Fairfield.
- Vermont basketball player suspended for reselling textbooks Dec 24
- No. 4 Duke reaches triple digits in rout of Fairfield Nov 15
- No. 4 Duke gets right back to work against Fairfield Nov 15
- Duke survives with late win over Vermont Nov 24
- Vermont comes calling on No. 6 Duke Nov 24
- Harrell lifts Louisville over Fairfield Nov 23
- Hall of Fame Tip Off pits Cardinals against Stags Nov 23
- Iati lifts Albany over Vermont in America East title game Mar 16
- Albany takes on Vermont in America East title tilt Mar 16
- Napier, UConn top Vermont Nov 13
- Vermont seeks upset of No. 23 UConn Nov 13
- North Carolina rolls on without Henson, tops Vermont Mar 16