UC Riverside slips past Youngstown State 62-60Feb 21, 2010 - 4:35 AM RIVERSIDE, Calif.(AP) -- David Chavarria nailed a jump shot just before the buzzer to boost UC Riverside to a thrilling 62-60 victory over Youngstown State on Saturday.
The Highlanders (11-15) led by as many as 11 points early in the second half but struggled as the Penguins (8-19) slowly caught up and tied the game at 60 on a jumper by Vytas Sulskis with just 24 seconds to go.
With three seconds left, the Highlanders' Lateef McMullan tried for two but missed. That's when Chavarria grabbed the offensive rebound and made the jumper for the win.
Chavarria finished with seven points. Kyle Austin led the Highlanders in scoring with 13 points, while Brandon Dowdy added 11 and Larry Gurganious had 10.
Sulskis led the game in scoring with 18 points and was the only Youngstown State player to score double digits.
- Youngstown State beats Robert Morris 65-58 Dec 2
- Youngstown St. tops N. Dakota 79-69 for Slocum's 700th win Nov 23
- Highlanders and Aztecs mix it up in non-conference action Dec 22
- No. 25 Utah hammers UC Riverside Nov 21
- Utes seek turnaround against visiting Highlanders Nov 21
- Long Beach State squeezes past UC Riverside 76-74 Mar 6
- Wisconsin-Green Bay ousts Youngstown State 81-67 Mar 2
- UC Davis runs away from UC Riverside 66-43 Feb 28
- Detroit defeats Youngstown State 62-54 Feb 27
- Austin lifts Riverside to 62-53 win over Pacific Feb 26
- Wright State edges Youngstown State 76-73 Feb 25